Monday, June 24, 2013

It's Monday! What are You Reading? Every Day After by Laura Golden

Thank you Jen and Kellee for hosting this weekly!  To see what others are reading and recommending each Monday, or to participate, be sure to check out their blog Teach Mentor Texts :)



I have been waiting for Every Day After by Laura Golden to come out on bookshelves because I could not wait to read it after reading the blurb and online reviews about it.  This weekend I sat in my favorite chair and read it in one sitting - I could not put the book down! I needed to keep turning the pages to find out what happened to the characters, especially Lizzie Hawkins. 

This book takes place in the Depression  era and the characters are dealing with a lot of issues linked to the Depression.  For example, Lizzie's father left her and her mother after not having work for awhile and her mom has not been the same since.  With the father gone, they are behind on their mortgage payments and may lose their home to the bank if they can't pay it.  If that is not enough, Lizzie is also having issues with a girl named Erin who is out to get Lizzie and will go to any measure to make Lizzie's life miserable.  Since she is dealing with a lot at home and has a lot on her mind, her friendship with her good friend Ben becomes strained and tested.  Will Lizzie be able to save her home, help her mother, keep her friendship with Ben, and be able to deal with Erin? 

Once you begin this book, you will not be able to put it down.  The characters seem so real and you will fall in love with them and want to know what happens next to them! This is Laura Golden's first novel and I hope she has more books in the works because I can't wait to read more written by her! 

Happy Reading this week! :)





1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, Melanie. I've put it on my list! Thanks for the review about this new author's book!

    ReplyDelete