Thursday, March 9, 2017

Slice 10 of 31- sol#17: Of settings and critical theses

This is the 10th year that Two Writing Teachers has hosted the Slice of Life Challenge. Thirty-one days of writing during the month of March, here we go!



"Sometimes, information writers use visuals or text features to help readers understand their ideas even better," I tell my second-grade information writers when they tell me they're done.

As I stumbled through my 35 page critical thesis on settings in middle grade fiction, it occurred to me I should take my own advice.

"How do you create a graphic?" I asked my tech-savvy daughter.
"Just use google drive," she tells me. "The drawing tools. It's easy."

Do I need to tell you that I hate when she says that? Easy for who? Clearly, she has NOT read Peter Johnston's Choice Words...

I shoved myself way out of my comfort zone and headed to the drawing tools. After a longer time than I am comfortable admitting, I had my first version. I made the mistake wise move of asking my mother what she thought--whether she understood it. "I think the triangle would make better sense if it was the right side up," she said.

Sure. No problem.

I spent another unadmittable length of time turning the triangle the other way.

I think my second graders would appreciate my efforts, even if the topic is somewhat beyond them...




Happy Slicing,

3 comments:

  1. Your slice captured the frustration all of us can feel when learning something new. You persevered and learned how to do it. You will get better each time you use your new knowledge. (I DID read Peter Johnston's Opening Minds. Ha! Ha!) Really, you did it! Fun slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy how long it takes to figure this stuff out -- I love that this slice included 3 generations...
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those drawing tools are frustrating, aren't they? I love the graphic you created. So smart! Can't wait to see how your thesis impacts your novels!

    ReplyDelete