Friday, March 24, 2017

Slice 24 of 31-sol#17: Am I an accidental diminisher?

This is the 10th year that Two Writing Teachers has hosted the Slice of Life Challenge. Moving into the 20's of the 31 day writing challenge!

 

One of my colleagues suggested that the Multipliers Quiz is a great conversation starter for instructional coaches and anyone in a similar role. I usually like her ideas, so this afternoon, I registered at the Multipliers website, and I took the quiz to determine if I am an accidental diminisher.
I scored a 22 which puts me into the land of likely for being an accidental diminisher. Hmmm. The questions that seemed to get me my negative points had to do with having ideas and working hard. I took some time to reflect on this, and I thought about an interaction I had just today. One of the teachers I work with was struggling with the structure of one of the Units of Study writing books, published by Heinemann. These books give detailed sessions for every lesson within a unit, and the minilesson is fully elaborated--even scripted--with a connection, teaching point, active engagement opportunity, and a link. This teacher was looking for a simpler chart, and I suggested that we create one. I also shared the series of videos I've made for each session that teachers can use to see how the minilesson could go or to use with students who miss instruction or need a refresher. 

Maybe I was being an accidental diminisher. 
Maybe I was making it too easy.
Maybe productive struggle is a good thing. 

But it's conference time.
And there's so many other priorities and pressures.
And isn't it my job?

Where's the balance? 

This accidental diminisher thing has me thinking. That's a good thing. Maybe sometimes less is more. 

Happy Slicing,

6 comments:

  1. Ok, now I need to check this out! I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a compelling post that I had to register and take the quiz. I ranked a likely diminisher too! Looks like I have some reflecting to do. Future post for me? Quite possibly!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if pry of the issue might have been the absence of authoring... premade units, especially ones including scripts may be understood as insulting. It may have little or nothing to do with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh -- I will have to take the survey and see. I think it is a tough balance. For me it is about patterns. Am I working harder or caring more than the person I am supporting? If the answer is consistently yes then I think there is a danger of being in the "over-responsibility" trap. I am wondering if that is the same as an accidental diminisher.... love new ways to analyze coaching relationships. Thank you for sharing.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really interesting. I'd be curious, if I took this with the lens that "teachers" were my "students" would it work? Since I am not a coach. Being reflective about our practices is always a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also intrigued! It sounds to me like you were doing coaching at its finest. How could that be diminishing?

    ReplyDelete