Saturday, March 25, 2017

Slice 26 0f 31-#sol17: Finally a ten!

This is the 10th year that Two Writing Teachers has hosted the Slice of Life Challenge. Moving into the 20's of the 31 day writing challenge!

 

At the end of our tutoring session, Ethan asked me if I wanted to know my rating. 

When I first started working with him a few weeks ago, he was less than thrilled to have Saturday morning tutoring. To try to make sure it was as good as it could be, I started asking him how it was on a scale of 1-10. The first couple of sessions ran me an eight and a nine. My husband got a kick out of this. 

"When are you going to come home with a ten?" he'd ask.

As we walked downstairs, I laughed at Ethan's question. I had actually forgotten to ask him. We'd both enjoyed our lesson. We read 74th Street by Myra Cohn Livingston together, and I surprised him when I said I didn't think the little girl was resilient and persevering--I actually thought she was fairly foolish. We spent a fair amount of time reading closely and debating. Ethan also had a couple opportunities to act out the poem. If you want to see something funny, get an eleven year-old boy to pretend to fall repeatedly while wearing roller skates, skin his knee, wipe the dirt, and spit on it. 

"That was a ten," Ethan said as I put on my sneakers in the mudroom. 

Looking forward to telling that doubting husband of mine!

Happy Slicing,

16 comments:

  1. Ten out of ten from a student - great compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a new fan! Your husband must have appreciated you finally scoring the elusive 10 rating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You act out the poem,
    as if you were dancing
    inside the lines, as if
    the iambic pentameter
    was a rhythmic beat
    for your feet, as if
    the seats in the hall were all full
    with an audience, instead
    of just me, as I read, to you,
    with your eyes closed,
    watching the ghosts
    of the past come alive
    on the stage, too.

    --Kevin, lifting lines to make a poem as comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was only a matter of time to win the mind of Ethan. You have the gift of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad this little guy gets to work with someone who cares what he thinks and goes out of their way to make it fun for him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun time. You have the touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go...a ten! You certainly had Ethan engaged, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smiling that Ethan gives you a rating each time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be hard for Ethan to come on Saturday mornings, but I guess now that he thinks it's worth it. Love that you can brag a bit with your husband about that 10!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband is a minister and years ago, one of the youth graded his sermons and gave him feedback. The kids tell the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to go look up the poem after reading your story. Congratulations on your perfect score!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never doubted you would be a ten! I love that you asked him for feedback - - so much research to support student to teacher feedback loop.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ten from a child! What motivation for you. You must be making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This morning, I wrote about lifting lines from SOL posts for poems. Thank you for inspiring some poetry. I hope I did your words justice.
    http://dogtrax.edublogs.org/2017/03/27/slice-of-life-day-27-lifting-lines-and-making-poems/
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete