Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Slice of Life: Sometimes "good" doesn't mean good



Every Tuesday, the writing community of Two Writing Teachers hosts Slice of Life. All are welcome to participate by linking up posts or commenting on other participants. 
We are in the first couple of days back to school--those days when we all see each other for the first time, give hugs, ask how the summers were...

Today, I asked one of my colleagues how her summer was.

"Good," she said.

We had time, we were away from other people, and I remembered a medical issue someone she loves had been experiencing.

"How is ___doing?" I asked.

She opened up and shared the struggles they'd had and continue to have. Without writing more, suffice it to know that her summer had been really sad, and really emotional. Really, really sad and really, really emotional.

"I'm so sorry," I kept saying. I really didn't have other words.

Later, that same colleague came into the office I share.

"How was your summer?" my officemate asked.

"Good," the colleague answered before asking a few professional questions.

My heart hurt. I'm not sure I will ever ask someone again how their summer was without truly studying their response.

Sometimes good just doesn't mean good.

Peace to all my writing friends,





6 comments:

  1. She is blessed to have someone who cares enough to ask and then listen. Very sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is blessed to have someone who cares enough to ask and then listen. Very sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this the truth, how we feign "good" but it is so much worse, sometimes. So good that you are able to truly listen and not stop for the one word "dodge."

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just never know what might be going on, do we? In this case you did, but so many don't. Tomorrow I will see several struggling colleagues on our first day back together. I will listen, really listen. Thank you for that reminder. -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the quote that says "Be kind. Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about." I'm glad you took the time to find out and truly reach out. I think we ask the question without really wanting to hear the true answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HP Board 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th Syllabus 2021 A syllabus is a document that contains important information about certain content. Typically, it interacts the students what exactly you are going to study during a particular period of time. HP Board 7th Class Revised Syllabus Moreover, this is a necessity as well, as providing the length and breadth of HP Board 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th Syllabus not only clear a picture but also keeps the candidates to be ready ahead, before the actual demonstration of chapters.

    ReplyDelete